Wednesday, September 9, 2009

.The Coming Of Fall.

Fall is coming.

You don't know how excited I am.

In fact, I think I'm more excited than I humanly should be about the coming of Fall.

Summer has it's perks, but all in all, I hate Summer. I hate the cloudless, blistering hot days Texas has to offer during the Summer season.

For the mass majority of people, the dreary, drizzly, cool days are the days to be considered as depressing. People are stuck inside; the constant trickle of heavy mist against the windows always signal that it's a boring day and the wishing for the sun to come back from hiding is more than blatantly apparent. Seattle is a city known for its fair share of suicides due to the constant wet, gray weather. Most people long for the sun shiny days.

This is not how it is for me. In fact, it's very much the opposite.

I love that I live in a great state. Born and raised in Texas. I'm very protective of Texas and am overflowing with Texan pride. A true Southerner, I am. But dadgum. It's so hot, and the cloudless, dry days are very abundant here. There's hardly a change in the seasons. We have Summer, and then we have a short winter. Living in the northern part of the state, we sometimes get the small dose of Fall and Spring, but they're very short lived.

At least this year, we have had a very rare wet summer. Lots of rain. It's actually getting cooler right now, signaling that we might actually have a good change in all the seasons, even though Summer came very early this year.

Mist, fog, rain, thunderstorms, cool temperatures, drizzle, mist.. all these things make up the perfect day for me. The temperature cool enough for a sweater or light jacket and maybe a scarf. I don't like bitter cold, but I'd still take it over blistering heat. It's the cloudless days that really depress me. It seems it has no personality. No feeling. The hot days are the days I want to stay in, feeling glum. The cooler, misty days are the days where I feel excited and want to go out and do things. Just as much, though, I do like cuddling up on the couch with a nice hot cup of tea and watch a tv show or movie with Thomas; Vincent curled up in between us or on the floor playing. That's just as nice during this weather.

I guess I can't say that I totally hate the sun. I like the sun on crisp, cool Fall days when I still need a sweater. It makes for a good day to pick out pumpkins and squash for the harvest season or a stroll in one of the many local parks to look at all the colors of the trees as they get ready to shed their leaves for Winter. I prefer the sun then, but only then.

All in all, I just love this time of year that's coming up. As soon as Summer came early in late Spring this year, I counted the days until it would end, as I do every year.

Maybe I give this subject more thought than I should, but I don't mind. =)

Summer may hold most of the happy memories of my childhood, but Fall and Winter will always be my favorites of all.

No comments: