Friday, April 4, 2008

.Second Chance.

In the beginning of last year.. Thomas and I were still newly engaged, and had jobs that looked promising. Then, within three days of each other two months before the wedding Thomas and I both got fired with no warning. Both for very stupid reasons (In my opinion).

We both had previously worked at a pasta place and the owner kindly invited us back to work until we could get better jobs to get back on our feet and to keep paying on the wedding. I was in a little more hot water than Thomas was since he was living with his parents for a while. I had my own place. Sadly, the owner couldn't give us anywhere near what we got paid at the other jobs let alone forty hours a week. I we got more and more behind in our own bills. We then both started dipping into the overdraft in our bank accounts. They eventually went to their limit and got shut down. Understandable.

We got married. That sucked us both dry since both of us were paying for that whole wedding out of our own pockets. Right after said wedding, I got pregnant with Vincent. So, paying off the bank accounts were put on the back burner. We didn't have the money to get out of the accounts' debt.

I then found out a few days ago that there's a chance they won't let us open another account with them for seven years. Even if we paid both accounts off in one lump sum. That also goes for other banks as well. We were devastated. That's not 100%.. but it's likely.

Anyway, Thomas has been cashing his checks through check cashing places, which sucks because of the fees they build up. Money orders too. We've also been using my mom's bank account to pay a few bills online and sending her money orders to cover the payments.

Then we stumbled across a bank called Woodforest National. Thomas was going to see if they would cash his check, and they mentioned that they'd give him an account, even after he gave them our story of the other accounts. Yay! So now we got a second chance at a bank account. We'll be able to keep track of where our money goes better, and we can go back to paying bills online and not be late and/or forget to pay! Also my mom won't have to have money taken out of her account and have to wait for a money order to be sent in the mail.

Because we can be better stewards of our money now with the help of a bank account to keep track of, we're going to save up the money to pay off the other accounts quicker. We'll try to get them open again, and if they let us, we'll just close down this account we have now. If not.. we'll still have a bank account. I'm so relieved/happy. I hated not having an account.. and I hated losing our accounts due to the circumstances that went on. I hate being those people who are in the negative. I care. I want to be a good steward of money. Woodforest has helped us be able to put a foot in the direction to being better financially.

They're awesome.

No comments: